Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Flautas

Vegetarian Black Bean and Sweet Potato Flautas
Black Beans and Sweet Potato Flautas

I don't know about you, but when trying new recipes, especially ones that are vegetarian  I get nervous. I am always under the assumption that the dish will lack something. But not this recipe!
I want to make sure I give credit to the right place, I found this recipe via Pinterest which is pinned from the website http://www.peasandcrayons.com/.
And let me tell you, it's simply one of the best dinners I have had in a while. I recommend making rice as a side, or having a side salad with it, especially if you are feeding men. But my daughter who is half vegetarian/half undecided, loves this dish, even though it has black beans in it! I wasn't a black bean lover, until recently, actually my bff tried many times to get me to try black beans and I just wouldn't do it. 
Anyway, let me share how to make these delicious flautas.

9 corn tortillas
1 cup of black beans
1 cup mexi-corn [corn + colorful red/green peppers!]
1 small/medium sweet potato
1/4 cup of diced white, yellow, or red onion
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried or fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes [optional]
2oz  full-fat or 1/3 fat cream cheese, room temperature [optional]
4-6 ounces of grated cheese [habanero cheddar, cheddar, pepper jack, etc...]
1-2 heaping tablespoons [or more!] of taco sauce, enchilada sauce, or salsa
salt and pepper to taste
all-natural olive oil spray or plain oil
parsley [or cilantro!] + fresh veggies to garnish
salsa, guacamole, and plain greek yogurt (or sour cream!) for dipping 

Pre-heat your oven to 425F.  Poke a few holes in your sweet potato, wrap it in a slightly damp paper towel, and microwave on high for about 6-8 minutes.  [The paper towel trick keeps the potato moist]  While you wait, combine corn/peppers/onion with your black beans, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, cayenne, and taco sauce/salsa.  Your cayenne and red pepper flakes will control the spice-factor; adjust to taste.  I alternate between using my favorite flavorful red enchilada sauce, spicy taco sauce, and a natural, zesty salsa.
Add the sweet potato [minus the skin] to the rest of your veggies and mix thoroughly.  Add salt, pepper, and any additional seasoning to taste.  I usually add a little extra sprinkle chili powder, cumin, and garlic!

Next wrap your corn tortillas in a damp paper towel, followed by a dry paper towel, and microwave on high for 30 seconds.  Follow it up with an additional 30 seconds.  The goal here is to steam the tortillas so they roll into perfect flautas without breaking or cracking =)  This trick works like a charm!  Spray or rub one side of the tortilla with oil and add "line" of veggie filling to the center of the "dry side" of the tortilla, about 1-inch thick.  Top it off with a layer of cheese [as much or as little as you want!] and roll the tortilla. 

Place on a wire baking/cooling rack and seal with a toothpick, if needed.  Repeat these steps until you have a rack full of flautas.  Give them one more teeny spritz of olive oil or pam to get them extra crispy [no-frying] and set on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.  The wire rack elevates the flautas and allows them to get nice and crispy on both sides.  If you don't own a wire rack, simply place the flautas on aluminum foil after spraying and turn over halfway through cooking so both sides will get a chance to crisp up.  Super easy.

Bake on the middle rack, at 425F, for 15 minutes.  At the end, set to broil on HIGH for just under a minute to crisp the tortillas into a perfectly golden, crunchy shell.

Pile high with any + all veggies you have on hand and serve with plain greek yogurt, sour cream, salsa, and guacamole for dipping!

You will love these!
They are so awesome and I am so glad that I found this recipe. It's super easy, I can make them in less then 10 minutes and they are filling because of the black beans. But just like I warned you, make sure if you have men in the house, you make a side of something, because after you make these, you will be full but they might say they are still hungry, well at least my hubby did, but my son was satisfied with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment